Sunday, December 30, 2007

Family dinner

We decided to have a nice Sunday dinner tonight at Mom's house. The kids ran around and made lots of noise, which I am sure must drive Mom nuts, but she takes it all in good stride. I wanted to share some pictures of Mom with Abby. Abby was all over Mom tonight, cuddling her and giving her kisses - just wanting to be near her. It was so cute, I had to take pictures.

Now for some updates... I have received a lot of questions about Mom's arm. It is healing well, but still has a ways to go before it is completely healed. She is no longer on the antibiotics, and gets regular dressing changes. Its pretty nasty looking, but the nurses say that it is looking better and better.

For Christmas, my dad installed a wheel chair ramp outside the house so that Mom can get in and out much easier. She has taken advantage of that over the last few days by going out for lunch yesterday, and today, her and my dad traveled to Tacoma to meet with an Indian spiritual leader to have a prayer ceremony for her.

Mom has an appointment with her oncologist, Dr. Goldberg, on Wednesday. It has been about a month and a half since he has seen her, and we're guessing he is going to reevaluate her to determine our next step, particularly if her arm has healed enough to allow her to continue with her chemo treatment. I will update the blog when we have more information about what is coming up next for Mom.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI,
My goodness, Abby sure is growing up. She's so cute. I'm sure you've had a great time having them there.

It looks like your hair is coming back in. That should feel good. Although there would be good points to having no hair - like not having to worry about how it looks!

How was the indian ceremony? Sounds like it would be very iteresting. It makes me think of some of the things Jose does for healing.

I hope you have an enjoyable New Years Eve. And I pray that the new year will bring only good news and happiness for you and your family.

I love you, Linda

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Aunt Gail!
What did you think about our space needle fireworks on TV? That was a riot! After we sat there and listened to the guy about how they were going to be the biggest and best show ever, and then they went for a few seconds and quit. Wonder if they ever got them to go? I can just picture you guys laughing right along with us at the TV.

Am glad to hear that you've got a ramp now to give you some more mobility. Sounds like you are able to go out and about a bit easier.

I've got to check our hockey schedule because I think we might be over that way next weekend, like the 12-13th. Depnding on how everything goes with your oncologist, we'd love to stop by and see you if you want some visitors. I'll call and check with you as it gets closer.

Just wanted you to know I love you and am thinking about you...Love, Kris

Marianne said...

Hi Gail,

What gorgeous photos, as usual! I'm glad to hear that your Christmas and New year celebrations were packed with much merriment, whether it's quiet or noisy, and loving family.

I'm not sure how your weather was, but our New year was rainy and a little windy. Usually that would dampen our celebrations, but since it was like that on New Year's eve, I was thrilled. Hawaii hasn't banned the use of fireworks by private citizens, as long as they have a permit issued by the city, so our eve is very noisy and smokey, which also upsets our dogs a lot. We end up sedating the dogs, which means that we're home on the eve to doggie sit, although I wouldn't want to be out on the streets on that night anyway. Hawaii has banned the use of arials which goes unheeded by many (which requires us to remain home to protect our rooftops from arials that might cause fires). We did have an incident a few years ago, which might have cost us our home, if I wasn't there to witness it. We want a total ban on all kinds of fireworks, and just leave the beautiful explosives to the experts. We have many public displays throughout the state. I must sound very "scroogy" about this, but it's a health and safety issue. Anyway, I'll get off my lecture "soapbox" (boy, did I just reveal my age by using that term? :)).

Please tell us more about the visit with the Indian spiritual leader. I do believe in lots of prayers....and.... would he be able to suggest a diet that could help to strengthen the system, especially after the treatments?

I hope todays appointment with Dr. Goldberg went well and he was able to give you his okay to resume treatments. With your last positive x-ray results, you must be anxious to continue. Boy Gail, the cancer is really testing your determination AND patience, but you know what?!!? You're passing each with flying colors!!!!

With this new wheel chair ramp there is NO stopping you, lady!!!!:)

Happy New Year to you and your wonderful family!

Love,
Marianne