Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Dr. Goldberg's visit

Mom went to see her oncologist today. Dr. Goldberg has decided that the best thing for Mom now would be to stop chemotherapy. With the sore on her arm healing very slowly, it would actually be quite dangerous to give her the chemo, as it would slow her ability to heal the wound, which could then become reinfected. He is also concerned about her quality of life. He discussed with them the different things that they can do in the future to help keep her comfortable.

Mom actually took the news well. She says that she is actually feeling a bit of relief. I think it is because she was wanting to be so strong and to fight this for all of us and now she is able to just let go a little bit.

We don't know what the coming months are going to bring for our family, but we are all very thankful for Mom and for the example of strength, determination, faith, and love that she has been to us, not just since her diagnosis, but her entire life. Mom is very appreciative of all of the thoughts, prayers, and visits that so many have given her, and we hope that they will continue.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aunt Gail,

Just want you to know I am thinking of you today. I am so thankful for your courage and unselfishness and willingness to stay so strong for everyone around you. I admire you more than you know and am so proud to be your niece.

Love, Kris

Anonymous said...

Dear Gail,

I'm so sorry the news from the doctor wasn't better. But I'm thankful that you are feeling some relief at the news. I know the Lord will allow you to stay with us as long as there are still things He need you to do, then it will be your time to go home. I only pray that you will be comfortable and be able to continue enjoying your sweet family and friends.

I love you and really miss our e-mails and phone calls and visits. Your advice has always been valuable to me and usually right on target.

Raeonna and Lena send their love. I send you hugs every day. I hope you feel them.

Take care and I'll try to call again.

Love, Linda

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I've been thinking about you this morning and decided to send you a HELLO!
I hope things are going well for you today. Are you able to go for rides and enjoy the scenery you've loved for so long? A trip to Whidby Island would be great if you're up to it. Listen to me telling you what to do... At any rate, have a good day.

Love ya, Linda