I wanted to let everyone know that I had a really good visit with Mom today. She was awake when I arrived and stayed alert the whole time. She even got a few words out, saying "I love you" and "bye" on the phone to Ashley, and then also telling me that she thought a movie that we watched last Sunday was "really good." Her hospice nurse that was there today made her a protein smoothie, and Mom ate quite a bit of it, along with some water and Ensure. She even ate a piece of chocolate! She really brightened up when she heard that Charlie is coming to town on Wednesday and Melissa on Friday. I tried to convey all the messages of love that people have posted to Mom today. I truly feel as though she knows how much she is loved.
We know that each day, even each hour, will be different with Mom in the next couple of weeks, but we are thankful for each moment that we get to be with her. This has been a hard time for all of us, but we continue to support each other and Mom.
Friday, January 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I'm glad today was better for Gail. I'm sure the chocolate was what did it! Well, that and all the love she's receiving.
Thanks again for keeping everyone abreast of what's happening.
Love, Linda
Gail had a peaceful evening; awoke 7:30 am, took a few small pills with sips of water.
Jim
The Hospice nurse was just here and confirmed Gail is comfortable and resting peacefully. On the way out she paused to chat a bit, and as she exited she said: "You know, Swedish Hospice has never seen a family quite like yours." An enigmatic comment, no doubt; I wonder what she means?
Jim
Dear Cuz, I know someone will let you know that I have left this on your blog. It was so good to see you even though my time was way too short.(I was lucky to spend about an hour with Gail thurs afternoon and than returned and spent from 4 to about 930pm with her that evening. Friday I spent from 9;30am until 12;30pm with her but she was out more than in most of the am.) You would be able to converse at times and you made me aware that you understood most of what was said. When Jim pointed out that even though your eyes were closed you probably were aware of what was being said and you made a sound to let us know that you were.... Family members might be interested to know that when I was speaking to Linda about our mothers, I said something to the effect that they didn't swear and Gail made it very clear that I was wrong!!! I don't know how it came up but apparently I was wrong though I never heard any such language from my aunt, but it was funny that Gail made sure I corrected my remark. Gail, the healthcare woman I spoke with said how nice of a family you have. You are also fortunate to have her( the healthcare woman) she is wonderful. I wish I could have spent more time with you but while I was in Seattle it became aware I would have to return to work earlier than I expected....Sat am which meant a 3;30 flight Friday afternoon to make connections. My love to you and your family,it is hard on all of you. Everyone deals with it in their own way and its apparent its just plain hard. I would have liked to see Megan but I missed her on Thurs am. I had copies of the pictures I brought and left them on the table by the beautiful flowers Jim brought you. The one of the girls is cute it was probably their first attempt at makeup. Rest well knowing we all love you. JM
Dear Jim and Megan,
Thank you for keeping us informed of Gail's condition. The care you've all shown towards Gail during her illness just illustrates the intensity of the love you all share. What a remarkable family you are which explains the comment made by the Hospice nurse.
You are all in our hearts, as you help Gail through this next phase. Peace be to all of you!
Much love,
Marianne
Post a Comment