Thursday, January 10, 2008
Thursday
Today has been a rough day for our family. Mom has been declining pretty rapidly over the last couple of days. I got to spend some time with her this morning and got to tell her how much she is loved and that she is a wonderful mother and example. She has not been eating much and is sleeping a lot. She is not able to communicate at all anymore, though I know that she was aware of me and knew who I was. We are all very surprised at how unbelievably fast this disease has progressed recently. Family will be arriving in town in the next week to be with Mom in this next phase (I believe her cousin, Joyce, actually was there visiting today), and are grateful for all the opportunities that we get to be a support and a comfort to her now. Please continue to keep Mom in your prayers and if you can, stop by to hold her hand and tell her how much you love her.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I want your family to know that you are in my prayers, may you all be blessed with peace and love from a loving Heavenly Father.
My only regret is that Gail and I lost contact with each other so many years ago. It is a shame that I didn't take the time to keep in touch with family. Love to your family from mine.
Cousin Irene
P.S.
Thanks for the updates on Gail♥
Dear Megan,
I just sent your mom my comments from your previous message, then I saw this new comment. I'm so sorry for the rapid decline of Gail. "Yes", your mom knows everything that's going on around her and heard your every word.
Words are not coming easily for me, but I just want you to know that I wish I had more time with your mom, she's such an incredible lady! Although I can't be there, I know Gail will be surrounded by family, friends, and much love. I hope you find peace in knowing that your mom is being cradled in God's comforting arms. Please whisper in her ear that I love her and really admire her....she has really changed my life!
Megan, please know that we are all praying for you and your family during this difficult time.
Much love and prayers,
Marianne
Megan, I am thinking of you today. I will be there soon.
Love,
Charlie
Dear Gail,
I've dreamed about you the last two nights so you know you are always on my mind.
Please know I will always love you. I know we will be laughing together again before long.
Love and hugs, Linda
.
Megan,
I send all of you my love and pray you will find the peace that you need at this time. I know the Lord is in charge but it still isn't easy to lose someone you love so dearly.
You are a wonderful family with fabulous parents. You will always be able to hold wonderful memories in your hearts of the good times you have all had together.
Please give Jim my love too.
Thank you for keeping all of us in touch with what has been happening. I know you will be blessed for doing this.
I'll check back again this afternoon.
Love, Linda
Perhaps some direct posts may be helpful to some. Semi-comatose, now, is perhaps an appropriate “lay” description of Gail’s condition. Over the past week the management of agitation has become a greater issue than the status of the arm wound, as Hospice advises (arm wound remaining stable). We have worked with Hospice on a variety of medications and seem to be “closing” on a good fit for Gail at this time. Gail is bedridden, but did sit upright in the wheel chair for a couple of hours yesterday. This morning she has taken a bit of water and Ensure, and a few small pills. These liquids are given in a 2-teaspoon dosing spoon. Cousin Joyce Mc Grady is here, from Texas, and appeared for the third short visit about 10 am. Gail seems to really appreciate the chat, as she drifts in and out of sleep/consciousness. Our friend Linda Sager, whom Gail has designated as “spiritual advisor” at Hospice encouragement, arrived at 10 to join the conversation. Turns out Joyce and Linda know each other from some years ago. Gail is now sleeping, but probably at some level very present in the conversation between Joyce and Linda. Hospice continues in their “extraordinary” support of Gail and our family. During last-evening’s “middle-of-the-night” conferral with the on-call nurse, it was volunteered this final phase of the illness could extend perhaps two days or two weeks; all professional speculation, of course, offered graciously for the benefit particularly of some out-of-town friends and family members beginning to think ahead about scheduling travel.
Jim
Dear Sawyers,
I have been reading the posts regularly and all of you are in our prayers. We love you.
The Deckers
I wish there was something I could do or say that would let you know how much I love you Gail. I am thinking of you all the time.
I love you so much.
Your brother, Michael
wish I could stop by and say hello, and to give a hug. I send out my warmest wishes to the family. Gail is an incredble person, and I loved being able to sing in the choir with her playing piano. I appreciate you guys updating the site. Keeping the out of towners in the know.
sending prayers and love!
Jason Newkirk
Post a Comment